Saturday, September 22, 2012

"Working Play"

"Working Play"


The idea of making a large scale sculpture out of paper that could go from flat to a three dimensional form in space is something that I've been wanting to realize for a long time now. A virtual "pop up sculpture" if you will. 



"Working Play" as it is titled embodies for me the combination of creative fun and hard work. It is approximately 7 feet tall x 4 feet wide and made out of repurposed corrugated cardboard.  The surface was painted with black and white acrylic gesso.  The subject matter for this piece was my son's room and boy does he have fun stuff to play with.  From vintage Fisher Price to the latest and the greatest in toy design.  And I can't forget all his artwork and books, books, books.  this space was such a rich resource for me to pull from.




Above are 7 views that circumnavigate the sculpture from left to right.  I'm essentially walking you around the piece.



One of my favorite elements of the sculpture is the elephant toy container that my wife found for our son at a local antique shop. It's round polka dotted and fun.


I edited through my son's toy selecting and including only ones that he really loves and that are important to him.  I remember him banging on his mini piano when he was only a few months old.

I am so glad that I finally had an opportunity to create this piece of paper sculpture.  The time had finally come.

Now back to the clay!


3 comments:

  1. I have always admired and respected your art. A true master.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dugg some of you post as I cogitated they were very beneficial invaluable 먹튀사이트

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dugg some of you post as I cogitated they were very beneficial invaluable Moving Company Dublin

    ReplyDelete